Ebb as opposed to flow

Ebb Tide
It is a time for me at least when the (my) glass is either half full or half empty...tide's neither in nor out.  And you know, of course, that there is nothing much you can do about it one way or another.

Ebb - (n)

  1. the flowing back of the tide as the water returns to the sea (opposed to floodflow ).
  2. a flowing backward or away; decline or decay: the ebb of a once great nation.
  3. a point of decline: His fortunes were at a low ebb
verb (used without object)
  1. to flow back or away, as the water of a tide (opposed to flow ).
  2. to decline or decay; fade away: His life is gradually ebbing.
I hadn't ever really thought about "ebb" being an intransitive verb.... always thought about it when the slack water hits.  Fact is, I haven't given intransitive verbs a second thought since Ms. Harris's honors English class about two centuries ago  (PS...an intransitive verb doesn't have a direct object). I should know that.  I should know a lot of stuff I guess...it comes from being just smart enough to figure out that you can be lazy and get by. 
So now I sit at ebb tide and am not looking forward for a few days when I find out when low tide is in the offing.  I think I'll take the dog for a walk and start the day again.  Gad Zooks.

Comments